Let’s play a little game. I am thinking of a real historical person, a man who lived many centuries ago. Below are a number of clues that are all true about this man. Read through the list of clues then take the poll at the bottom of the page to see if you can guess who it is.
- He is associated with the words “My God, My God why have you forsaken me?”
- He was scorned and despised by his own people.
- He endured persecution and suffering.
During his suffering:
- He was mocked and insulted by his own people.
- People shook their heads at him and said “He trusts in the LORD, let the LORD rescue him.”
- His mouth was dry.
- His clothes were divided by his enemies, who cast lots for them.
- He was surrounded by frenzied mobs.
- His hands and feet were wounded.
- He was poured out like water.
- He was laid in the dust of death.
Because of his suffering:
- All the families of the nations remember and turn to God and bow down before Him.
- Future generations will be told about the Lord, proclaim his righteousness.
- Future generations will declare to a people yet unborn: “He has done it!”